Monday, June 30, 2008

The Coast

With the heat in the area the last few days, Ogre and I decided to escape to the coast to beat the heat.

When we left our apartment at 10 am, it was already 80 degrees and very sunny. By the time we got to the beach, it was 62 and overcast/foggy right on the beach.


We got out and let Angus have his first taste of the ocean, and I got to dip my feet in the very cold water.


We went and grabbed some lunch and walked the dogs and then I saw it: horses for rent on the beach. I usually go riding when we're at the beach and it's something I love. For $25 you get to ride for an hour along the beach. So much fun.

Everything was great after I mounted the horse. They gave me a lovely mare who they called May. She has a fab dorsal stripe going down her back. We started off and one of the guides who rides with the group starts screaming at me, "May likes to bite and kick, get her away from me!" Why do the give me the problem horse? Because when you sign up they ask you what kind of experience you have. I rode quite a bit as a kid and I only ride about once a year nowadays.

So I spent the majority of my trip making sure my mare had open space in front of her and no one was sneaking up on her from behind. Even when she was in the clear, she would actively look for horses to go after and bite. Lucky me. At least she listened to me when i pulled her head in the opposite direction of a horse she was going after.

Even though I hadn't ridden in a while, I wasn't sore at all after an hour in the saddle. I didn't even get that feeling like I'd been riding a barrel. I had a pretty good time.


All in all, it was a good trip and I'm glad we got to get out. I think the dogs appreciated it more than we did.

6 comments:

Mamahut said...

She's a pretty mare, too bad she's a snot! Did the puppies go with you when you rode? Just curious what they think of you getting on a horse. My blue healer goes berzerk when I go feed the horses, when I do get up on one of them....it's a freaken rodeo, I have to put her up.

I want to be where you are, it's supposed to top out at 100* today. UUHHGGG

Pinup Girl said...

It was about 92 yesterday. Thank goodness it's only suppose to be around 80 today. The puppies didn't go with me. But we did walk past a group of riders and they both stopped and just stared at them. I'm pretty sure Angus was thinking that those were the biggest dogs he's ever seen.

bff said...

It was 96 in tukwila, holy crap!Was it the same horsey outtfit we used when I went with you guys?She did look real purdy:)

Pinup Girl said...

No, it was the one I used last time when I went by myself. I like these guys way better. If you look at the picture, you can see the bars on her legs.

Anonymous said...

I had fun in the 92 degree heat yesterday, but I'm kind of a heat freak. I didn't realize it was that cheap to ride horses at the beach. We're planing a day trip there in a few weeks when my mother in law comes. Did you notice if they allowed small children to ride?
That house you looked at had an awesome kitchen.
Maybe I'll see you this weekend if you are going to be at island for the 4th.
Linnea

Pinup Girl said...

I was unaware that anything was going on at the island on the 4th. I know they had kiddie stirrups for the horses and some kids were riding but I don't know of an age limit or anything, but I'm sure it wouldn't be much of an issue.